external-antenna wifi for handheld/handtop?
phlegmatico
2008-03-31 01:58:25 UTC
what is the smallest computer that can be configured to work with an
external-antenna rig-up for wifi at a distance from the hotspot?
moronsbegone
2011-06-05 02:43:18 UTC
Post by phlegmatico
what is the smallest computer that can be configured to
work with an external-antenna rig-up for wifi at a distance
from the hotspot?
A net book and managable wireless switch running a stable
version of Linux might work,
But a programmable router would be better, especially one that
has a Linux os and is Hackable. Here is an interesting video
that makes a run of the mill Lynksys 80 dollar router do what a
Cisco AirNet 2400 can, Repeater and all, they hack the OS and
install their free to public home brew features.

So much for spending 600 bucks if it works, you'll be under a
hundred.
Personally I am lazy and employed; I would just go out and buy a
Cisco or other top end product and be done with it.

A separate computer running at the base of a big antenna? I
wouldn't want that on a cold winters night and the snows coming
down etc...